Thursday, October 2, 2014

Let the shed project begin

Truthfully, I am always busy doing something...
but when my husband is out of town for work (which is not very often),
I start tackling those projects that have been on the list for months.

Maybe because my brain and body is already exhausted,
so I think... "might as well..."

This week has been one of those weeks.

I headed to Lowe's to get my supplies,
with the children in tow
(yes we got many "looks" as I piled wood, screws...)
and started the 

shed project.

If you remember, we recently added a sunroom to our house. 
My goal is to enclose the space under the sunroom to make it our new shed.
We have a very old barn shed on our property that has been there probably before my husband and I were even born. 
It's time to let that go.

We already took care of the floor.
We used concrete squares 16"x16", as opposed to a concrete slab.

The main reason is because the area is on a slope, and there will be rain water getting the concrete wet. I am not talking about a river running through, 
but definitely it will get some water. 
By using concrete square pavers, it will allow the ground and pavers to dry more quickly, and to keep moisture away from the foundation of the house.
We used around 50 pavers,
costing us around $150.
The shed project will only cost us a total of 
$200 to $250 in material.

Also the enclosed area will not be completely closed off.
Nobody wants a moldy place to store stuff.

After much research,
I decided to build 2 of the walls similar to this.
One wall is the exterior of the home, while the 4th wall will be a large wide double door.
source
The slats will allow some airflow in the space, and it will have outdoor fabric/screen stapled on the inside.
During the day there will be plenty of light to see the stuff. 
I also already purcased motion sensor lights for "after dark" use.

Keep in mind that our backyard (where this storage area will be) is fully fenced in, and all 3 of our gates have locks.

I will show you soon how it turned out.
I am now in the process to stain all the wood and then build on site.

For now, enjoy some chalk art by our talented children.

They drew on the concrete while I finished staining the lower deck!

Yes, that's checked off my list.

Stay Frugal,
Daniela








13 comments:

Revi said...

You're so brave...working with power tools! Your plan is very well thought-out.

Rita C at Panoply said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita C at Panoply said...

Love your fearless attitude, Dani. You're a strong woman. Can't wait to see the finished product - well-thought out! Love the kids' art, too. :) (ps deleted 1st comment...on mobile device, hard to catch autocorrect that's incorrect).

andi filante said...

Dang woman! We're building a shed too (we DID have concrete poured) but I would never be the one to build it. That's ALL Phil. If I did it it would end up looking like....well, I can't even come up with anything bad enough. Probably the Burrow on Harry Potter.

-andi

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it all done.

Kelly said...

My goodness I don't know how you do all that you do! Having 3 small children to take care of all by yourself for a week would be enough for me! I like the plans you have for your outdoor shed area.

Libby said...

You continue to inspire me. I learn so many wonderful things by reading your blog. Have fun with your new project. I'm patiently doing the juggling act as I await my bathroom renovation. In the meantime, I have to stay at my mom's.

Carla from The River said...

You are so amazing. :-)
I too have learned a lot from reading your blog.
I am looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

Wow! You're just like Karen over at Feral Turtle, I would never start this on my own. I would happily be the "beer babe" and bring beverages to the workers and assist when necessary. You rock.

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

This is cool! I can't wait to see it finished. Tell you kids I loved the art work!

must love junk said...

You go, girl! I always admire your skills! :)
Susan

Katie Mansfield said...

You always amaze me. Great job.

Katie Mansfield said...

You always amaze me. Great job.