Friday, July 12, 2013

Soundproofing a Room

Do you have a basement, room, home theater or gym that needs soundproofing?
Don't want to spend a lot of money on acoustical panels? 
Then you are in the right place.

Across from my husband drums, 
on the wall you can see three ceiling panels, which are there to absorb the sound.
We actually have several of those on the wall around the drum set as well.

"Soundproofing basement ceilings is easy with ceiling tiles and panels that absorb up to 70% of the sound that strikes their surface.
Decorative ceiling tiles and panels can help with soundproofing basement ceilings for a home theater, game room, home gym, office or guest bedroom. Unlike drywall, the materials and manufacturing technology used in ceiling tiles and panels provide acoustical benefits that can make a big difference in the sound environment of a room."

We had those panels on the walls since we bought our home seven years ago.
They were originally white, then I painted them the same color of the walls 
(to make them blend in) 
and then I painted them blue 
(to make them stand out)...
yes, I changed my mind a few times.
...I forgot, I also covered them with dropcloth remnants sew together and hot glued to the panels.
On my journey to change the feel of that space...without spending much money, I quickly realized how I really liked the back of those panels.
So that's what I did. 
Turned the panels around.
Added a thrifted white sheet ($1.50) as a futon cover, changed some pillows around,
and here it is.
Ready for a new bright season.
To learn how to make those easy pillow covers
 click here
and to see how I added numbers to the covers
click here.

Stay Frugal,
Daniela
you can find me on
Etsy
facebook
pintrest

Linking to
twelveOeight
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style
The Frugal Girls

11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

It looks great, Dani, and it's good to have something that works like that- lol Was he a drummer as a kid, too? xo Diana

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Cool! I'm pinning this because we may well need this someday - I have an almost 10 year old who insists she wants to play the drums.
And I assume the panels do the same job either way they are hung?

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
Wish in a lot of public buildings they would do some soundproofing. It makes all the difference for good acoustics and for easier conversation. As you have shown, it is not even hard to do!
Hugs,
Mariette

Janet said...

very cool!! All of them.
Janet

Kelly said...

That's a great looking room! I love how those panels look. They actually look like art behind the sofa. I like the numbered pillows you made too. You're smart to think about using those ceiling panels like that.

Cristina Garay said...

Oh, I need some of those! When my husband and kids do their jam sessions it gets really loud! You made me laugh at how you keep on changing them, I'd probably do the same :) I love their backs too, it looks like wood.

Revi said...

Dani, you don't just think outside the box, but behind it!
-Revi

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea to deaden the noise, and while I liked the blue I like the latest version you have of using the back of the panels. My eldest son was in a band at one point, the guys rented a home together and wanted to sound proof the basement,they chose a less attractive solution, they used egg cartons. ;-)

Libby said...

I'll have to pass this on to my music-teacher friend who also teaches piano in a small room in the back of her home.

Unknown said...

It looks nice! I once looked for a solution for a basement but came up with nothing maybe I'll try this.

Unknown said...

Hi Dani. Just came across your site while searching soundproofing alternatives. Great webpage! A new fave, for sure. I'm also a drummer, and find myself apologizing for not taking up the harp, more frequently than I'd like. I was hopeful you could show a pic of your panels (funny, I prefer the 'beachy-feel' of the panel backs too!) in relation to your husband's set? Did you do anything with the ceiling?
Thanks for the insights :)

Andrew
techmonger55@gmail.com