Thursday, March 6, 2014

Homemade Bagels

We love bagels,
homemade ones are even better.
Here is my recipe.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
1T or (2 packages) yeast
2T agave
1 t salt
31/2-4 cups flour
(for this I use half whole wheat and half white)
to boil the bagels before baking2 quarts water
In a bowl, mix yeast, agave, salt and 11/2 cup of warm water (if you can't keep your finger in the water, then your water is too hot and will kill the yeast)
Let mixture stand for a couple of minutes.
Then mix two cups of the flour.
Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
Once all the flour is mixed in, knead for a few minutes.
Place dough back in the bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about one hour.
After one hour, punch down dough and divide into 12 equal parts.
At this point I added 1c of dried blueberries to half of the dough, before shaping and boiling them.
Bring apprx 2 quarts of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, shape dough into 12 bagels.
Once the water comes to a boil, reduce heat and let the water simmer.
Add bagels to the water, 3 at a time, and cook for only 1 minute.
Drain each bagel and place on baking stone (use corn meal to prevent sticking) or an oiled baking sheet.
Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until bagels are golden brown.

Stay Frugal,
Daniela

11 comments:

Kelly said...

You are just AMAZING! I always feel very lazy after looking at your cooking recipes because I know you don't take shortcuts. I have never eaten or made homemade bagels before. I didn't even know how they were made until seeing this post. Kudos to you for making these, especially considering you were up all night with sick kiddos.

NanaDiana said...

You are too much, girl! Those are amazing. I have never had a homemade bagel but I bet they are far better than the store bought ones!

So sorry you have had sick kiddos! xo Diana

Carla from The River said...

Yummy. I love bagels. I have never tried to make my own. This I will have to do! Thank you for sharing.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
You truly are AMAZING! These bagels are not only looking far better, the recipe is a healthier one too.
Hugs,
Mariette

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

I love bagels! This is a great tutorial, and I really want to try it! They look yummy, you are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, pinned!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

These look so good! I cannot get my husband to eat bagels. He's strictly an English Muffin guy. Maybe if I threw some blueberries in them.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Yummy! I wish they were gluten free.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Hmmm...interesting. We are so fussy about our bagels in Québec, Canada.... they are a serious business here. I would never get away with making them in my kitchen but I just might give it a try!!

andi filante said...

I LOVE homemade bagels...and this is the way I make them too! They were my favorite long-run carb. =D How comes the training???

-andi

Unknown said...

Ok I love bagels, but I've got to make your other breads first! So much to do so little time!

Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

mouth hanging open. You are the woman! Wow! My family would be in heaven if I made these.