Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Natural Deodorant: 2 ingredients

When it comes to our health, 
most of the times, the little things are what matter the most.
That's because all the little things together make up the big things.
A while back, I read about deodorant, 
and the harmful things that are used to make such deodorant.
Almost all of them contain aluminum, which suppresses perspiration, and parabens, which serve as stabilizers for the formula.
 Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer’s 
and a variety of cancers, including breast cancer, 
while parabens mimic the effects of estrogen.
While we switched to a more natural deodorant (that didn't have aluminum and parabens),
I realized that it still had a couple of more ingredients that are considered harmful.
To me that's a big deal, because whatever we put in contact with our skin, gets absorbed into our bodies. 
Scary?
Probably so. 
Think about shampoo, body lotions and even make up. 
Back to the deodorant,
I have done some research and found two simple recipes for natural deodorant.
The first one that I am sharing today has 2 ingredients:
baking soda and
corn starch
You'll need reusable and resealable container, mix 1 T of baking soda and 6 T of cornstarch.
(or any 1:6 baking soda-cornstarch ratio)
***For guys deodorant you can add an extra T of baking soda to the above ratio...but for my husband the 1:6 ratio works well***
(baking soda neutralize odors)
Close the jar, and shake it good to mix the two powders well.
Then dab a small amount to the skin of your armpits, applying as you would apply baby powder or cosmetic powder.
You can use a cosmetic applicator or your fingers.
The application will last a day or even two!
This powder does not leave any stain or residues on clothing.
Your homemade deodorant does require you to adjust. 
But you won’t smell. 
However, since it is so different from the chemical commercial deodorants your mind and your body know, there are a few tips you’ll want to keep in mind.
  • Give your body a few days to detox and chemically adapt. You’ve been using deodorants for years and that stuff is in your pores, and it needs to seep out. You might expect a kind of funky (not stinky) first few days, everybody’s body is different, this is normal and it goes away.
    ***Our personal experience...we had no funky smell AT ALL...but everyone is different.***
  • Wait an hour before applying to freshly shaved armpits. Guys (if there are any guys that read my blog) this is rarely an issue for you, but ladies, this will sting like crazy. 
This deodorant it’s just smart, 
practical self-care anyone can try. 
The recipe takes less than five minutes to put together…and you can make your deodorant for pennies.
The entire box of cornstarch is about $1 and the box of baking soda is about .50c

Stay Healthy and 
Stay Frugal,
Daniela

disclaimer: I switched to making this simple deodorant not because it costs less (in fact, with coupons I rarely, almost never paid for deodorant), but because of the health hazard commercial products have.

Linking to
The Frugal Girls
Life on a Lakeshore Drive
Between Naps on the Porch
twelveOeight
Savvy Southern Style
The Shady Porch
Stone Gable




17 comments:

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

I have recently heard about this and even heard that you could put a little bit of coconut oil on first, before the cornstarch/baking soda combo. Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Great information, Daniela. Thanks for sharing this.

Jeanette

NanaDiana said...

My husband uses a natural mineral salts bar and has for years. It is a stone that you wet and use. Amazing- Your recipes are good ones. You could also put a bit of essential oils on a small piece of paper toweling, leave it in the jar, and the mixture would take on a scent. xo Diana

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Another wonderfully informative post. Great way to save money and so much better for you. I have a small confession...I don't even wear deodorant...I think I must be missing stinky sweat glands or something, honestly :) I hope the same will be true for Grace but if not, I'll be making hers as you suggested.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I've read about this but haven't found anyone that I "trust" who has tried it! It may take a lot to get my husband to switch but since he has sensitive skin, this might work better for him.

Thanks Dani!

momto8 said...

so interesting!

Cristina Garay said...

Good to know, Dani! As always great information!

Libby said...

I'll have to try this out. I was aware of the aluminum factor and had tried some natural deodorants in that weren't as effective as I needed them to be (if you know what I mean), but my mom uses one that works wonders for her. I think our body chemistry is different so I'll try this next.

Anonymous said...

Salve Daniela sono una Americana in Umbria. So we must have the reverse life.

Thanks for this post. I'm going to try this. I'll be back to your blog.

Cheers

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Totally worth trying! Thanks so much!

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Totally worth trying! Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

It's so true--and scary--how toxic commercial antiperspirants can be! I haven't used it in years... I'm a solid salt kind of girl, but I may just give this a try--thank you for the tip!

Unknown said...

We've tried to stop using commercial deodorants several times and really haven't found anything that works for us. I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I'd like to give it a try too. It is true we get really used to certain things. Adjusting would take time. Thanks for the recipe.
Liz

Unknown said...

Thanks for the awesome info and the recipes! Super informative!! Thank you for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent.
Kathy

Unknown said...

Great idea! My eldest is having my first grandbaby later this year and looking for something safe to use. Thank you so much!

xo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
This is another great posting!
Most people are not aware of the health hazards that certain products can cause! After all, our skin is our LARGEST organ and it absorbs a lot.
Hugs to you,
Mariette