Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY wine glass rack

Apparently this wine glass rack is the talk of just about everyone who comes over for dinner! We try to have guest for dinner once a week...which is more likely once every other week ;)
Non-the-less, I have had numerous people asking me where did I get this...well, I made it...with leftover furring strips and trim.

Now, even if you have to buy the material, this is still A LOT cheaper than buying one.

So, for all of you who have been at our house for dinner, here it is...
...as I make another one for a friend.
First of all, measure the depth of the shelf, and cut the furring strips down to size.
Also cut the small trim down to same size.
I glued (wood glue) the small trim right in the middle of the furring strip, and let it dry. 

When dry, you can go ahead and paint/stain it, or install it and then paint.
I paint it first on mine.
Then, attach your first piece to the shelf. I used two screws from the top, but liquid nails or gorilla glue would work for this project (just wait until completely dry and cured, before you add your glasses).
We have different size glasses, so I made sure I spaced the furring strips correctly according on how wide the base is...too narrow and the base will not fit, too wide and the glass will fall through. 

This is what I call a custom fit!

If you have a router you could create the same concept without using the extra trim, but I don't have one, and this works just as well!
All done! 
***Also you can do this on a regular cabinet shelf***


Stay Frugal,

20 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

That is so clever! Looks really good Daniela!

Melissa@TheHappierHomemaker said...

Very, very cool! Pinning this to try soon, thanks!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

How very clever! Thanks for sharing how you created it!

Katherine said...

This is awesome! I bet you get lots of compliments on it. Hope you'll link it up this week at Gettin' Krafty With It!

PJH Designs said...

What a great tutorial for such a clever piece. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving kind words.

Sherry said...

I definitely like this! Thanks for sharing tutorial.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Great job!

Comeca Jones said...

Now this is a great project!

Anonymous said...

You are a rock star! Down to the detail of the different size glasses' feet, you nailed it! That could be costly to pay to have done. Love it!
Janet

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This project turned out great...great tutorial, too! Thanks so much for stopping by my finds post!

Cristina Garay said...

That's Great Daniela!!! I love when a project looks so good that appears to be too complicated, but in reality it is so easy to do!!
Great Idea!

Lynn Wood said...

This has such a rustic yet elegant look to it. It's hard to believe it's just left over lumber. Great project!

Lynn

Unknown said...

how cool this is great thanks for the step by step

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love it! Such a super great project.

Dee

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

I love this Daniela - especially the black color!

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

Awesome!

KC Coake said...

Love it! Great project to make. Wish I had space for something like this...would love it!

Katherine said...

Featured your amazing wine rack tonight! Come by & grab a button & link up something else special this week!

Roeshel said...

So clever! Great idea! It looks awesome!

Unknown said...

I'm bad at DIYs but this looks easy so I will try this.