Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Park Bench Restoration

I have always had a thing for park benches.
Maybe it's because they are made out of two of my favorite material:
wood and cast iron.

What's not to love about that?


Don't you just want to sit down and read a good book?
I do.

I was blessed to receive this bench.
It needed some TLC, as the wood was very dry and worn out and the cast iron showed some rust.

I used only 1 product to restore this 
bench.
It's actually something that you can eat.
They don't call it elbow grease for nothing!!

First step was to lightly sand down all the wood to remove whatever paint/clear coat residue is on it.
Also the fine sanding helps the wood to be smoother and soak in the oil better.
(in process shot)

Next I used a sanding pad for the cast iron, to remove the rust.
Now the fun part was to wipe on the wood the coconut oil and then wipe it on the cast iron as well.
(can you tell where the oil has been wiped on the wood and cast iron?)

The wood soaked in the oil very beautifully.

Note that I did not use any stain on the wood.

Just the oil.
I turned to wood into a beautiful rich color.

As as far as the cast iron, it made it shine and beautiful as well.

Can you believe this?

Now some of you may wonder if the cast iron or the wood are oily.
My answer is no.

So sit for a while and read that book that has been sitting on the night stand.


Stay Frugal,
Total cost of the project: 
less than $1 for the coconut oil amount used.
old rag/towel 

4 comments:

Linda said...

First off - I have MISSED you!!!
I love coconut oil and use for all sorts of things. Taking my make up off and as a night cream to mention two.....

NanaDiana said...

Oh! How NICE to see a post from you!!!! I love Coconut oil and use it for lots of things but have never used it on wood/cast iron. Great job and what a find! xo Diana

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
Wow, this is such a GEM of a Park Bench; LOVE your end result!
Indeed, pure elbow grease but how that work pays off... stunning.
Thanks for sharing this with your audience.
Hugs,
Mariette

Our Hopeful Home said...

Where have you been? Love this!!!!!!!! Thanks for the coconut oil tip.
xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home (formerly Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home}).