Today I will share my chairs rehab story.
It kind of happen when I was not looking to replace our dining chairs.
But you know the moment you see something and you think
"I like that!".
And the moment you realize that something is not expensive and sometime even free?
My usual reaction is
So back to the chairs...I'll spare you the pictures of the completely before.
But this is the picture of the back of one seat.
The top part was a mixture of molded chair padding covered in (what it looked like) a plastic tablecloth stapled to hold the entire thing down.
Now believe me when I say I used a mask and plastic gloves once I realized what I was dealing with.
I managed to remove all four seats.
I traced one of the old wooden seat unto 2 cabinet doors, that were removed from our kitchen over 10 years ago.
Yes, my first thought back then was "one day this might come handy"...and they did.
I used a jig saw to carefully cut the seats.
Next was a thoroughly cleaning job of the chair skeleton.
The cleaning involved vinegar AND bleach.
All while wearing gloves.
Maybe I was being over zealous...
I even let them dry in the sun.
I did it again.
I was being over zealous.
Then I decided to give it a light sanding of the entire chair.
I didn't want to get the stain off, nor the color variations in the wood,
but I wanted to lightly sand it off for a smoother "look".
I then sanded the new seats and decided to paint them black.
Mainly because our table is black, and the 2 end table chairs (which are different than these 4) are painted the same black.
I wanted to tie everything together.
I attached the new seats this morning.
All ready and done before Christmas.
So Merry Christmas everyone!