Monday, July 21, 2014

Hydration drink

Hydration drinks are very useful during hot months, not only if you exercise, but if you do any kind of activity outdoor (yard work, laying at the pool...) that involves sweating.

I am not a big fan of Hydration-sport drinks...
I have a hard time drinking something bright red or neon green/yellow.

In any case, the general idea of hydration drinks is to enhance the water with sodium, potassium, and 

natural sugar, which will help your body to absorb water more quickly. 
Preventing and fighting dehydration.

There are 5 key ingredients to make this drink.
Himalayan pink salt has 84 trace minerals and high in sodium, as well as the baking soda.
The apple cider vinegar is high in potassium.
Other ingredients include fresh lemon juice, that is high in calcium and potassium, and honey, which provides glucose and helps your body with mineral absorption. Honey also provides your body with carbs, key for muscle function.

So here is what you need:

1 quart of water
2 Tb of honey
½ tsp of baking soda
1tsp of apple cider vinegar
½ tsp of salt Himalayan pink salt
½ lemon

Mix all together, shake well and refrigerate.

ps. You can adjust the flavor by adding more/less honey or even replacing part of the water with juice. 

Stay Frugal,
Daniela





7 comments:

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Daniela, This was meant to be.... my daughter, who lives in India, brought me some Himalayan Pink Salt which she actually bought in the Himalyas... so I will be difinitely using some to make your hydration drink.
We are enjoying some very warm weather here in England so the timing is perfect.
Best wishes
Daphne

Kelly said...

That's an interesting recipe for a homemade sports drink. I can see how all of the ingredients add up to a great way to stay hydrated. I bet you drink this a lot while you're jogging.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
You phrased it exactly like I'm thinking about all those 'colored' drinks. I never would drink those!
Well, this sounds very healthy. I've never added the salts, because of my low sodium diet but it might still be a good idea for summer months!
Thanks for sharing this.
Hugs,
Mariette

Carla from The River said...

Thank you for the tip. I have been drinking a lot more of my Apple Vinegar mixed with ice cold water. That is just what I need after working out in the heat.
I will try this too.
Thank You!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

How incredibly fascinating! Thanks for the recipe!

andi filante said...

I actually have all these ingredients in my house right now! Now if only I were doing something that required hydration.... :/ I have to say I initially read "potassium" as "possum."

Ewww...Possum drink....

-andi

Katie Mansfield said...

Thanks for the recipe. I wouldn't drink anything neon either. I had no idea you could make your own.