Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Perfect Baked Potato

I know, a baked potato should not be that hard to bake.
But today I am going to show you how I make it, and also helping you with cooking time and oven temperatures.
Most of the baked potatoes I had, where baked inside aluminum foil.
This actually 

defeats the purpose to make a "baked" potato, since the foil traps the moisture inside, 
making your baked potato taste like a "steamed" potato.
I am not saying that it taste bad, I am just saying it's different.
The texture (and the taste) of a steamed potato is totally different from a baked one.
So here how I make mine.
First of all, 
when baking potatoes, choose one that are similar in size, so the potatoes will all be done at the same time.
I scrub the skin (under cold running water) with a brush that I keep just for produce. 
Then pat dry.
At this point, it's important to remember to pierce each potato 4-5 times to prevent said potato to explode in your oven 
(and make a giant mess).
I use a cookie sheet and lay the potato on it.
Using a brush, I cover the skin with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.
(this will make you want to eat the skin, which btw is loaded with vitamins and minerals)
Now you are ready to bake it.
Using the middle rack,
bake according to the temperature/time chart below.
45 minutes at 400°F
60 minutes at 350° F

90 minutes at 325° F

Keep in mind that if you are cooking more than 4 potatoes in one time, you'll need to extend the cooking time by 10-15 minutes.

Fair warning:
Although I usually cook/bake extras for leftover meals, this is one of those things that does not reheat well, 
so bake what you will eat, 
the next day leftover will not be as good 
(both texture and taste).

This is a super easy side dish to accompany both meat and fish dishes.
Our favorite is baked salmon or grilled steak.

Stay Frugal,
Daniela
114 days left to my first Marathon,
click here to help me help St.Jude Childrens Hospital



9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

You are right- I never wrap my potatoes in tin foil either. My gramma always said that potatoes were good 365 days a year and that is what you should bake them at...lol. I have always done that-baked about an hour depending on the amount of potatoes in the oven. I usually make extras to make twice-baked potatoes for another day.

Happy New Year, Dani'! I have loved getting to know you this past year- xo Diana

Three Birds Inspired said...

In my mind, there is nothing better than a well baked potato. It drives me crazy when someone attempts to make them in the microwave. NOOOO!! I don't eat white potatoes any longer but when I did, I also baked on the rack, without foil, however, I smeared the skins with bacon grease. (You can take a southern girl out of the south but you can't take the south outta the girl!) Leftover baked potatoes are wonderful the next day if you peel, saute' with butter and then scramble with eggs. (I always made extra just for that purpose.)

Kelly said...

That's how we cook our potatoes too! Jimmy actually shared that method with me. I think it's called Rossin (sp?) baked potatoes when using the oil and salt method without foil. We actually place ours directly on the oven rack though and we don't pierce it with a fork. I know you have to do that if you use a microwave though. I don't think you have to in the oven. We've never had a problem with it exploding. LOL! I think potatoes taste so much better using this method instead of microwaving too (even though it takes much longer).

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Ooooh....love a good baked potato!!
Happy New Year!! I need to peruse your blog and see how that project is coming along. :)

Revi said...

I never met a potato I didn't like. :) I've baked them both ways, and I like them however I can get them - steamed, baked, fried, you name it! I've never had one explode, but I know those who have, so I always pierce the skins.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
Very clever way and it is so true about those vitamins and minerals.
For sure they turned out to be delicious.
Hugs,
Mariette

Junkchiccottage said...

Dani,
Yum. The skins are my favorite part of the potato. Happy New Year.
Kris

tljwlj said...

You can also bake in your crock pot. Do it the exact same way. They come out great and you don't have to heat a big oven for just a few. Just thought I would pass that on.

Patty said...

As I'm reading this there is a baked potato in the oven with my name on it. Hubby is "braving" the cold to grill a steak. We're one of those southerners that use bacon grease with sea salt. They are YUM-MEEEE ! Too many years with foil, or in microwave, so now we're using the propane up to do the taters right!