Monday, April 1, 2013

Dropcloth remnants pillow

I am telling you...
in a house with three little children, 
the nice stuff doesn't last very long...
This pillow has been dragged and chewed and who knows what else.
So I got my dropcloth remnants and decided to use it to make a cover for that sad pillow.
I started by sewing each piece-strip one by one, making sure to stop about 1" from each end. 
This will allow the next remnant piece to fit right under the previous one.
This is how it looked when the pieces were sewn together.
Don't worry about uneven edges at this point.
My concern was:
is it wide enough (from the most narrow piece), and is it long enough.
Yes it was, for my size of pillow.

***I made this using the same technique used to make
 other pillow covers I made here***
Dropcloth Stenciled Covers

Now insert pillow.
I totally like the pattern/texture/color variation combo, 
so this was a great way to reuse something that was not enough to do anything else with.
Now this is a washable cover that is super easy to take off as needed.
cost of new cover $0

Stay Frugal,

17 comments:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Great idea, Daniela! I've been having a mad crush on dropcloths lately, making 5 different tablecloths and a couple of runners, so I have quite a few scraps. Pillows are just what I need to make!

Cristina Garay said...

I love the texture, the unevenness of the shapes! I run out of dropcloth material, I need to buy some more for a pillow project too :)
Have a great week!

Kelly said...

I love how that looks! It goes so well with your other pillow that is numbered. You should consider selling those too! I love the pieced together look. It's very unique and casual.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
How clever you used up your remnants here! Looks very user friendly and pretty.
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Unknown said...

The pieced together look is great and a practical way to use up fabric. Happy April!

Sandy said...

I made all my slipcovers with drop
cloths and have many small pieces.. what a great idea! Thanks so much
for sharing..
Happy April
Sandy

Unknown said...

Your pillow turned out GREAT and will probably hold up better than silk :) You are so creative!

xo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Cute! I love drop cloth creations!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

What a smart idea. It reminds me of a cool pair of pants I had in 6th grade. I loved those pants. You are the frugal queen!
Liz

must love junk said...

LOVE this! Great price, too ;)
Susan

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Very creative and cute, Daniela. I might just try something similar for some bar stools I need to cover!

Jeanette

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love it. The texture reminds me of something nautical.

Maria Elena said...

What a clever way to use the left over drop cloth! Great idea, Daniela! I would love if you come by and link up this post to this week's party. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Stampin' VMG206 said...

Cute idea! Great way to use up those old pieces.
I'm visiting you today from twelveOeight. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Medicine Cabinet Makeover

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

That's awesome! You did a great job ;)
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Wild Oak Designs said...

Perfect! Love the look (there is a store here that has pillows that look like this, done with denim and such, and they charge $150!)
Love the look....
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Amy Kinser said...

That pillow is fabulous. Love the patchwork look.

So nice visiting with you tonight. Stop by for a visit over at our place if you have a few minutes. Gonna spend a little more time here looking around.

God bless, Amy