Friday, January 25, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons (or ovens)

When life gives you lemons...
make limoncello lemonade!
(but making Limoncello would not be a bad idea either...)
Last Friday our 1966 oven died. 
We knew it was coming, but were hoping later than sooner.
Some things cannot be controlled by human effort, so here we were looking for a replacement.
I guess if you need to replace appliances, January is the month to do it! 
Both Lowes, Home Depot and other stores are having a 10% off until mid February.
We went with the least expensive with the best reviews.
Kind of funny to think that the least expensive that would fit our odd, old size cabinet opening, was $800+tax.
(we were able to get it for $700 tax included, thanks to coupon and rebate)
Needless to say, I had to do modify the opening some, modify the cabinets, and even modify the cabinet doors.
And here is where the fun began...

Now, this was a first for me.
I don't really have the right tools to modify cabinet doors, but I have plenty of creativity...which helps when money is tight.
(Also I consider myself a content person, which allows me to be happy with what I have)
SO here is what I came up with.
I cut the doors in half, around the 3/4 mark at the top. I then cut a 2" strip from each door.
Then I connected the two pieces from the inside.
Filled in the gap (since my cuts were not perfectly straight, I used a jig saw).
Sanded, filled in some more, sanded and painted 2 coats of paint.
the paint is the same , just looks different in the pictures

I also had to build a raised shelf right above the oven.
The truth is, I didn't have anything to lose cutting the cabinets' doors. Those were unusable as is, so trying to make it fit was really just a trial.
I am really excited to say it worked!

The wood used were scraps, and we already had the paint. 
Hubby was gone for a week long business trip. He is coming home in a few hours and he is going to be really excited to see the new oven put in, and the cabinets all finished.
the picture above, shows the true color of the cabinets


And one more...the horizontal cuts are completely gone!

***In case you wonder...no,I didn't pick up the 112lb oven by myself. A couple of friends from our Church came over to help me with that***

And tonight 
is on the menu!


Stay Frugal,
Daniela

Linking to
It's Overflowing

21 comments:

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Wow! Your amazing Daniela. I bet your husband thinks so too!
Enjoy your new stove :)

Kelly said...

Ryan did GOOD when he married you!! My poor husband would've had to come home to nothing done if it involved carpentry and electricity! LOL. You did an amazing job and I just bet you're secretly glad to have a new modern oven now. It's gotta be more energy efficient and come with some bells and whistles that you're older one didn't have! That was money well spent if you ask me!

Unknown said...

You are one talented woman to get that done. What a lovely surprise it will be for your husband. Smelling the fresh pizza will be good after a week away no doubt.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and think it is fantastic! Can't wait to read more. Signed up tp follow you, too! Please stop by my place about living life simply and easity. http://cjmau.blogspot.com

Take care. Jeanne

Anonymous said...

now you are one handy dandy woman,

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I bet to your husband you are a keeper! My husband would be in total shock if I did that.lol
I love your new oven and agree with Kelly...money well spent!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Daniela you are one talented woman!! Great job!!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

You are so talented. I am, again, impressed. Enjoy dinner made in your beautiful new oven.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a project to take on. It looks great! I'm sure your husband was happy too.

must love junk said...

You are quite the handy woman-you go, girl! Looks great :)
Susan

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
So glad I found you at Dee's blog. I've added you on the sidebar on my blog as you are an AMAZING lady! Molto, ma molto brava. Yes, I did work and live in your birth country in Il Veneto for one year and I will always keep a soft spot in my heart for la bella Italia.
Your husband will be very proud of you!!!
Hugs and a well earned happy weekend.
Mariette

Ivy and Elephants said...

You are amazing! It would have cost me a fortune, cause there's no way I could have tackled that!
You did a fabulous job. My hero!
Hugs,
Patti

Meredith @ The Laundry Can Wait said...

I've determined you need your own HGTV show.

Maria Elena said...

You did a fabulous job with this project! It looks fabulous!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

You are so good! Do you also know how to figure out what to do when a car goes caput? I'm grateful my oven didn't give up the ghost, because I don't think I would have been in the mood to do all you just did. Dealing with a car dying is bad enough. You are a frugal DIY maven. You could be the "Dear Abby" of home repair. Can we call you "Dear Dani"?

Liz @ Quirky Vistas

Anonymous said...

I actually had to stop and stare at your picture of the old oven, I haven't seen one of those in years, I didn't know any were still working. Great job, no I can't tell where you cut the doors.

Unknown said...

Sounds like both of our cars in December! You are so resourceful, your new oven looks great Dani :)

xo, Tanya
ps-I can only imagine how good your pizza is too!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Good for you! I can't even imagine! The most help I would be in a project like that is saying how I wanted it to turn out and maybe handing over the hammer!

Revi said...

I love your 'can do' attitude and fearless spirit! Great job.
-Revi

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You are one handy woman. Great job and I know Ryan is proud.

Cristina Garay said...

Talent and ingenuity! Some of things why I LOVE your blog, Daniela! That cabinet looks brand new!