Friday, December 21, 2012

Star makeover

Once upon a time there was a star,
it hung on the wall for six years looking like this...that's a long time in my book :)
I have been thinking about painting it, but the hubby didn't think it was a good idea.
So I listened to him and came up with a different idea.
Mod podge. 
The thing is, I didn't have any in the house, and truthfully I did not wanted to get the children ready and drag them to the craft store (in the pouring rain and the cold wind).
So I gave the mod podge homemade version a try, which is
equal parts of Elmer's glue and water.
I emptied one bottle of Elmer glue 4oz, in a clean jar and I added 4oz of water. Put the lid on and gave it a good shake.
All done.
***I have several friends that have used this mixture for years, so I gave it a try.***

Since the star hangs in our bedroom and since we are coming up on out 7 year anniversary in less than a month, I decided to print some wedding pictures on regular paper and "mod podge" them to the star.

wet work in progress
This gluing technique thing is SO cool.
I wonder why I never done it before.
So, this is a happy 7th anniversary gift to ourselves.
For us it is good to remember the happy times in the marriage (and by that I don't mean just our wedding day).
Remembering the good and happy times, makes us less prone to remembering the rough ones.
I am no marriage expert here, 
just sharing what works for us.
So this star represents our marriage, 
the day we said "yes I do", 
we will make it to the end.
To my best friend, my cheerleader, my companion and my "bring me back to reality" kind of man.
For the budget conscious crafter,
the Elmer's glue was no more than .50c 
(thanks back to school sales!)
water and copy paper pretty much free.
Love my .50c makeover
(And you will still have plenty of glue mixture leftover in the jar. Just close the lid and save for a later project)

Stay Frugal,
Daniela



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful, happy anniversary on 7 years, today is our 40th wedding anniversary!

ColibriNB said...

It turned out beautiful - what a great project and you really can't beat that price. Happy anniversary!

Kelly said...

What a crafty idea! I like how that turned out. It is nice to see all of those images together like that.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful anniversary project, it turned out so pretty!!! Happy anniversary and merry Christmas 😊

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Congratulations, and wishes for many more years filled with love and joy! I love your makeover, using your wedding photos was an inspired idea, and it turned out just beautiful.

Revi said...

Sweet photos, great idea, and it works in your home!
-Revi

Nancy Carr said...

Happy Anniversary! A great way to be reminded of your commitment to each other.

20 North Ora said...

Happy anniversary! What a sweet memory you have made. Great idea.

Merry Christmas

Judy

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

The star turned out great! Love that it is pictures of your wedding. All marriages need reminders from time to time about the commitment we made together.

Very frugal!

Maria Elena said...

Love, love your star! What a beautiful idea! Merry Christmas!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is really cute. Great way to remember all those happy times.

Unknown said...

What a nice makeover and tribute to you and your hubby!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! So creative and beautiful. Happy Anniversary a few days late. :)

Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent.