Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hummus in a blender

Hummus in a blender...ok, so if you are following for a while, you are probably thinking I am obsessed with my blender! 
Fear not!

I am going to show you how yummy yet simple it is to make hummus!
I start with 1lb of dry chickpeas. Cook it in water for 1 1/2 hours, no salt, and they are ready for this!
I use 1/2 of it for my batch (2 cups cooked). and freeze the rest until the next time.

HUMMUS
Ingredients:
    * 2 cups cooked chickpeas
    * 3-4 cloves of garlic
    * 2 T toasted sesame seeds (or tahini)
    * 1/2 lemon
    *  extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
    * salt to taste 

Start by blending the sesame seeds 
in the blender or food processor
(it's like a sand storm in a blender)
then add the fresh garlic
...give it a quick pulse,
and finally add the chickpeas and slowly add 1/2 cup of olive oil
 If you need more moisture but don’t want to up the oil content, a bit of water will do the trick. Taste your creation and adjust the salt and lemon to taste.
 Add a good extra virgin olive oil on top as a garnish. 

***If you’re in the mood for flavored hummus, throw in the blender some roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, rosemary or parsley***

Cost of 2 cups of hummus
less than $2!

You can also check out my
Alfredo sauce in a blender
and
Pesto in a blender

Stay Frugal,

10 comments:

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Pinned, Facebooked, and I think I'm going to make this for almost every football game this year, it's so easy and yummy looking!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

this sounds great and I never knew you could use toasted sesame seeds in place of Tahini (Inever have tahini), thanks for posting this, great tips!!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Nummm...I eat hummus almost everyday, I am SO going to try this...thanks :) Laurel

NanaDiana said...

My son-in-law would love this. I just can't seem to develop a taste fo it- yes...I am odd! xo Diana

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love hummus and never thought about making it from scratch. I just buy some at the store.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Sounds great. I love simple healthy recipes.

Libby said...

Ummm, I love hummus. And you are quite the whiz with your blender. My blender and I have started to form a very close relationship during breakfast hours. Now you've given me another reason to keep that appliance working hard. Keep these quick and easy recipes coming. :-)

Lynn Wood said...

I love chick peas but never considered making my own hummus. You make it look pretty easy!

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

Love hummus! Hubby has actually been eating homemade toasted sesame seeds since he was a kid. I've made them one for him before - very easy!

Katherine said...

We are big hummus fans over here. All I need is the sesame seeds and lemon and we'll be in business!